Ventura or Northern Los Angeles County, CA
Stillwater Sciences seeks a highly-motivated, mid-level fisheries biologist based in the Ventura or northern Los Angeles County area to serve as a member of an inter-disciplinary team working on fisheries, aquatic ecology, habitat restoration, water quality, and water resources management projects throughout California.
The Fisheries Biologist will be responsible for:
- Representing Stillwater in public forums on technical and resource management issues;
- Marketing, project and client management, and proposal preparation;
- Developing study designs for fisheries projects;
- Monitoring and inventory of fish populations and other aquatic resources;
- Performing habitat evaluations and fish surveys;
- Analyzing aquatic resource data;
- Lead authorship on fisheries-related technical reports;
- Preparing environmental compliance (e.g., CEQA/NEPA/ESA/FERC) documents;
- Participating in interdisciplinary teams for watershed assessment, resource inventory, impact analysis, and natural resource management planning projects;
- Performing literature and database searches.
Qualified applicants should possess:
- MS in Fisheries Biology, Aquatic Ecology, or related field; or BS with 3–5+ years experience in the environmental field;
- Expertise in Central Coast fisheries issues;
- Demonstrated excellence with verbal and written communications;
- Experience with identifying anadromous and resident fishes common to the western U.S.;
- Permitting and regulatory compliance experience;
- Willingness to travel and work long hours in the field or office to meet project needs;
- Proven ability to work well with groups;
- Experience with some of the following: fish population sampling techniques, hydrological measurements, stream channel assessment, instream flow studies, river restoration and enhancement, aquatic habitat assessment, water quality measurements, CEQA/NEPA/ESA/FERC regulations;
- Environmental consulting and project management experience preferred.