Botanical Field Technicians – On-call, Temporary Positions
This position is no longer accepting applications. Please visit our Careers page to see our current openings.
Field location: Humboldt County, CA
Project duration: April through September, 2021
Stillwater Sciences is seeking highly motivated and talented junior- to mid-level botanists to join our interdisciplinary staff for on-call positions. We are looking for botanists interested in applying their knowledge of California flora to vegetation projects in northern California.
Responsibilities include plant identification, vegetation data collection, photographic monitoring, and data entry. This is an on-call temporary position. Field efforts are anticipated to be close to 40 hours per week starting in April or May and will likely extend into September. Scheduling may be somewhat flexible for highly qualified candidates (e.g., to accommodate student’s schedules).
The ideal applicant should have:
- Prior field experience; have earned or in the process of earning a BS or BA in botany or similar degree
- Excellent plant identification skills (sufficient knowledge of the local flora and familiarity with utilizing eFlora/the printed Jepson Manual to identify fresh and collected specimens to species)
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Endurance to work long days in all types of weather
- Good attitude and ability to traverse difficult terrain including steep slopes, muddy wetlands with standing water, and extremely dense brush
- Competency to follow directions and field safety protocols
- Solid navigational skills using maps and GPS
- Attention to detail and commitment to sound science